Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Blue Valentine


Let it be known: I have a serious soft spot for soul music. When it comes to soul, I like mine heartfelt and raw. It just ain’t good soul if it doesn’t move you or make you move. Can any able bodied listener really resist dancing when James Brown cries out for you to “get up off of [yo’] thang”? I hope not.  

Despite being a total downer drama about a young couple facing the ramifications of an abortion that should have been, a recent viewing of the movie Blue Valentine has affected my life in several positive and unexpected ways.

First, Ryan Gosling’s rendition of The Mills Brother’s classic, You Always Hurt the One You Love inspired me to buy a ukulele.

Second and more relevant to this blog, the soundtrack, mainly produced by indie rockers Grizzly Bear, included a rare “lost” soul track: You and Me by Penny and the Quarters.  

I have listened to this song at least once a day since the date of my exposure and I am not even close to getting sick of it. Something about this track’s demo sounding, lack of over production makes the emotion seem all the more authentic. The discrepancy between the sweet lovey-dovey lyrics and the melancholy, almost desperate quality in lead singer’s voice makes this song unique. It’s not every day that I come across a song that can make me giddy over love and want to cry at the same time.  

2 comments:

  1. ahhh. I just saw this movie last week for the first time. so sad : / I really did enjoy it though. I particularly enjoyed the ukulele song and dance scene. I don't remember this song though. Was this the song they would dance to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The uke song is the one that Michelle Williams tap dances to on the street. It's not usually in ukulele form, but there are some good covers on youtube.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd1bftnlBiY) This song is used a couple of times throughout the movie. Once when they get to the "sex" hotel, he plays this song and they slow dance. A second time is in a flashback right after the scene where Ryan Gosling comes over for dinner with a black eye. He gives her a cd and they make this song "their song".

    ReplyDelete